The Friends of the Library invite you to support Emporia Public Library by joining their organization. Annual memberships range from $5.00 for those under 21, $15.00 for an individual, $30.00 for a family and $50.00 for a donation. Membership Dues can be paid online.
What is the Friends of the Library?
The Friends of the Library is an organization of people who believe in the worth of an effective and attractive library. Its members pay a small membership fee and many serve in a volunteer capacity on the Board, committees, and working as homebound drivers or in various roles for our two annual book sales. As a result of the efforts of these people our Library benefits in many ways.
The Friends of the Emporia Public Library organization was founded on February 8, 1973, to support the initiative for a new library building. Now, more than 30 years later, the Friends group has expanded its mission and serves the library through support of adult and children's programming, collection development, equipment and facility improvement, increasing the Friends Endowment Fund, and more.
Friends Mission Statement
The mission of The Friends of the Library of the Emporia Public Library is to provide support for the Library's programs, help the Library achieve its mission, and to be an advocate within the community in support of the Library.
Friends of the Library Objectives
- To maintain an association of persons interested in libraries;
- To focus attention on the library to stimulate the use of the library's resources and services;
- To encourage gifts, endowments and bequests to the library;
- To support and cooperate with the library in developing library services and facilities for the community;
- To advocate for library issues;
- To function on behalf of the library but not as the library.
- To support the freedom to read as expressed in the American Library Association Bill of Rights.
Friends of the Library Dues and Contributions Support
- Kids' Koncerts
- Equipment and Technology
- Children's Summer Reading Program
- Teen Summer Reading Program
- Outdoor Plantings
- Book Baskets for patrons
- Multiple book copies for Book Discussions
- Newsletter printer costs
- Accu-cut dies for bulletin boards
- Friends Endowment
- Community Bookcase collection enhancement
- Free Bookpage newspaper
- Bookmark Design Contest